Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Brunei's 'Pead' First Day Cover 1895


I am trying to win ebay's auction on this item but I fear I am not closer to getting it. The price at this point in time is US$409.00 which is already too much what I am willing to pay for.

In 1895, when John Robertson managed to get the stamps concession from Sultan Hashim, he produced a set of 10 stamps in exchange for running the postal service in Brunei. With hindsight, we now know that what he wanted was to get the rights to producing the stamps and make gains from it. The postal service which he ran was described as 'sporadic at best' so he was not meeting his end of the bargain of running that postal service.

As part of his investments, he sold first day covers. He sent two batches of first day covers, one was to a Mr. Parker and the other was to a Mr. Pead, both in London. These two, maybe numerous in 1895, have now been much harder to find and their prices have increased as well. I managed to obtain the 'Parker' first day cover for about GBP220 in an auction a few months ago. I thought getting the 'Pead' first day cover would complement the 'Parker' first day cover. But not at more than US$400+.

1 comment:

semes1 said...

Mr. BR, congratulate you have won the 1895 cover which was very interesting postal history cover. I was also trying to bid & get the cover many times but unfortunately I won nothing. At last they came back & offered me; but the price was too high and yet not I expected & finally give up.
Mr BR, if you come across this cover for auction/sale, please let me know. Thank you.